7.20.2005

John G. Roberts Translation Machine

Seems like Bush's appointment ticked off a few lefties. Here's my reviews of good quotes courtesy of AP:

""I look forward to the Committee's findings so that I can make an informed decision about whether Judge Roberts is truly a guardian of the rule of law who puts fairness and justice before ideology." Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, D-N.Y."

Clinton translation: "I was caught flat footed expecting that woman orSpanishh guy and have to wait for an informed focus group study on what I should say about this conservative white guy without putting my foot in my mouth and add some stuff that makes my statement sound like I care about the law."

Image hosted by Photobucket.comImage hosted by Photobucket.com
CLINTON / SCHUMER

""The burden is on a nominee to the Supreme Court to prove that he is worthy, not on the Senate to prove he is unworthy." Sen. Charles Schumer (news, bio, voting record), D-N.Y."

Schumer Translation: "It doesn't matter who he nominates, we are against Bush's choice, and we are not partisan those republicans are."

""This is a very, very activist court. I want to know whether he's going to be like that, somebody who would eagerly and willingly overturn settled law." Sen. Patrick Leahy (news, bio, voting record), D-Vt."

Leahy translation:"This court is the last foothold of liberal power that actively pursues our agenda regardless of how the country votes and I want to know whether we'll lose that influence now as well."

Image hosted by Photobucket.comImage hosted by Photobucket.com
LEAHY / DURBIN

""The president had an opportunity to unite the country with his Supreme Court nomination, to nominate an individual in the image of Justice Sandra Day O'Connor. Instead, by putting forward John Roberts' name, President Bush has chosen a more controversial nominee and guaranteed a more controversial confirmation process." Sen. Dick Durbin, D-Ill."

Durbin translation: "We've lost everything to that Texas hick conservative and now he won't bend over and give us what we want. Instead he's putting forward his agenda and I guarantee my best effort to block the nomination because he made the partisan selection first and I have to be partisan right back."

""Without prejudging the nominee, I do believe Judge Roberts' record raises questions about his commitment to the right to privacy, protection of the environment and other important issues." — Sen. Barbara Boxer (news, bio, voting record), D-Calif."

Boxer translation: "I'll say anything to make myself sound good to my fruit and nut constituency back home and I'm so relieved it wasn't that Gonzales guy- boy I dodged the bullet there."

Image hosted by Photobucket.comImage hosted by Photobucket.com
BOXER / HASTERT

""I urge the Senate to move swiftly to hold hearings and give Judge Roberts an up or down vote. Quick action will ensure that both branches the Congress and the Supreme Court can return to their normal process without long, distracting partisan disruption." — House Speaker Dennis Hastert, R-Ill. "

Hastert translation: "You guys over there in the Senate better get your sh*t together and push this guy through. You democrats lost so get over it and you republicans are making our party look bad so grow a dang spine."

""We are extremely disappointed that President Bush has chosen such a divisive nominee for the highest court in the nation, rather than a consensus nominee who would protect individual liberty and uphold Roe v. Wade." NARAL Pro-Choice America."

Gee, we should even CARE what the SAME GROUP that sponsored the
  • SCREW ABSTINENCE PARTY
  • thinks on a serious issue? How in the heck do you expect to have ANY CREDIBILITY when you do IMMATURE STUNTS like that?